Bondi Beach is a popular beach and the name of the surrounding suburb in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Bondi Beach is located 7 km (4 mi) east of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of Waverley Council, in the Eastern Suburbs. Bondi, North Bondi and Bondi Junction are neighbouring suburbs. Bondi Beach is one of the most visited tourist sites in Australia.
Bondi Beach has been used as a location for numerous films, television series, music videos, and a video game:
- The Block was an Australian home renovation television series; its first season was filmed at Bondi Beach.
- Being Lara Bingle was a reality television series that followed model Lara Bingle and was set in Bondi.
- Bondi Rescue is a factual television series about the team of lifeguards who patrol the beach.
- Bondi Vet is a factual television series based on veterinarian Chris Brown.
- Breakers was a television drama series filmed around Bondi Beach.
- Tony Hawks Underground 2‘s Level Australia is a video game based on Bondi Beach.
- Les Norton, a popular Australian fictional character who stars in the Robert G. Barrett series of books, “lives” at Bondi in the stories.
- People Under The Stairs, an American hip hop duo, filmed part of the video for their song “The Wiz” on Bondi Beach.
- Scooby-Doo! and the Legend of the Vampire, an American animated movie, included scenes filmed at Bondi Beach.
- Two Hands (1999 film), starring Heath Ledger.
- The 1959 film version of Summer of the Seventeenth Doll featured the characters drinking beer at the Bondi Iceberg’s Club.
- The 1966 film They’re a Weird Mob features a scene in which the star is rescued on Bondi Beach.
- The Endless Summer Music Festival
- Bondi beach was shown in the episode “Australia” of the American comedy series Modern Family on 4/23/14.
- Michael Clarke, Australian cricketer
- Larry Emdur, TV presenter
- Steven Kilbey, bass guitarist of rock band the Church
- Rose Byrne, actress, formerly lived at Bondi
- Ed Oxenbould, teen actor
- Darren Palmer, Interior Designer
“Bondi” or “Boondi” is an Aboriginal word meaning water breaking over rocks or noise of water breaking over rocks. The Australian Museum records that Bondi means place where a flight of nullas took place.
Bondi Baths, the swimming pool managed by the Icebergs
Bondi Surf Bathers’ Life Saving Club claims to be the world’s first surf lifesaving club, and North Bondi Surf Life Saving Club is a federation club. Both clubs were founded in 1907. Bondi members invented the surf reel and many other icons of lifesaving. Surf lifesavers from both clubs were involved in the largest rescue ever on a single day, known as ‘Black Sunday’. Bondi holds the most Australian Surf Lifesaving Championship gold medals in R&R (rescue & resuscitation) and North Bondi holds the most gold medals in March Past.
The Bondi Icebergs Swimming Club origin dates back to 1929 and owes its origins to the desire of a band of dedicated local lifesavers who wished to maintain their fitness during the winter months. They formed the Bondi Icebergs Winter Swimming Club and drew up a constitution and elected office bearers. Included in the constitution was a rule that to maintain membership it was mandatory that swimmers compete on three Sundays out of four for a period of five years.